For assistance with installing Adobe: contact Technology Services at 273-0750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions on saving as/printing to PDF, or if you would like someone to walk you through the process: contact Faculty & Academic Support at 273-0660.
Faculty Support Contact
Why should I save as/print to PDF?
Benefits of saving as/printing to PDF:
- Easy and quick to save as/print to PDF
- Size - PDF format allows you to compress the data, making downloads and transfers faster
- Preserves graphics, layout, styles
- PDF files are easily shareable and can be opened on almost any platform
- Ease of access, as you can access the PDFs from home through the terminal server, or you can load PDFs onto a tablet (e.g. iPad or Kindle) or an encrypted USB flash drive
- Software to view PDF files is free
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality - because you choose the location to save the PDF, you won't have to worry about someone else viewing or picking up your confidential document from the printer area
- Cost savings - the cost of a page printed in black and white on a desktop printer can range from $0.04 to $0.09 depending on make and model, $0.0137 in black and white on a Xerox printer, and $0.0470 in color on a Xerox printer
- Time savings - because your file will be saved in the location you choose, you won't need to walk to a printer, order more toner, refill the paper, or search through stacks of paper in your office
- Efficiency - no printer jams, and saving as/printing to PDF is very quick (except for large files)
- Environmentally friendly
Do I need additional software installed on my computer?
The following programs have a built in save as PDF feature:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Google Chrome
For other programs, such as Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox, you will need an Adobe program (other than Reader) installed on your computer in order to print to PDF. Please contact email@example.com for assistance.
OK, I'm ready to learn how to save as/print to PDF.
Please navigate through the tutorials by clicking on the blue tabs across the top, or by clicking on the table of contents on the left column of this page.
Tutorials are available in two formats:
- step-by-step instructions with static screenshots
- step-by-step instructions via video